Traditional Danish Sweaters: 200 Stars and Other Classic Motifs from Historic Sweaters (Hardcover)
Single-color relief-stitch patterns in a rare and singular Scandinavian style.
From a little-known chapter of knitting history comes the Danish "night sweater"--part of women's traditional dress in the 1800s, these sweaters have long been overlooked in surveys of Scandinavian handcrafting and design. But now celebrated Danish knitting expert Vivian H xbro has brought together diligent research, comprehensive charts, and her own painstaking efforts to reconstruct these carefully-preserved garments to create a unique collection of single-color relief patterns. Knitted, purled, and crossed stitches form hundreds of classic star motifs, edgings, horizontal and vertical pattern panels, and striking "traveling stitch" designs--with descriptions, explanations, and instructions now available in English for the first time.
- Learn the history of night sweaters in Denmark, with a rundown of special techniques and regional knitting practices.
- Dive into a neatly-organized library of 200 charts for motifs of all kinds.
- Follow step-by-step instructions as you reconstruct traditional Danish sweaters in contemporary sizes.
- Work traditionally-inspired patterns for a stole, top, tunic, and more.
- Or use these motifs, edgings, and decorative panels in projects of your own design.